Thursday, February 10, 2011

Does Kelly Kaduce Have Renée Fleming Envy?

"Ask an opera singer about the state of his or her career and the usual response is an enthusiastic if generic statement of how well things are going. But the recent answer of soprano Kelly Kaduce, who is singing the lead role in Opera Colorado's production of Antonín Dvorák's Rusalka, was surprising in its candor. 'Probably like many singers, I secretly wish I was Renee Fleming and had this fabulous career and was singing all over the world in these big houses,' said Kaduce, 37, during a backstage interview at the Ellie Caulkins Opera House. 'But in reality, I know I'm happy to make a living singing, and I'm happy that people want to hire me and come to hear me sing. So, there is that dichotomy about it.'" The soprano's 2010-11 season also includes performances as Violetta in La Traviata (Tulsa Opera), Mimi in La Bohème (Michigan Opera Theater) and Catherine Earnshaw in Wuthering Heights (Minnesota Opera).  [Source]