Saturday, January 29, 2011

Lise Lindstrom Will Prove You Wrong


"Her nadir came in 2003 in a lesson in New York with a new teacher. 'During the lesson, which was $150 an hour in addition to the $35 to the pianist, I was interrupted by the telephone three or four times. After one of those interruptions, the teacher said to me: ‘You really don’t have a very good voice; you are not going to have a career. You probably should start looking for a different profession.’ Just like that.''When I left, I was so angry that I had even allowed that person to come within my personal space and give me that kind of ultimatum. If I’m going to decide that I don’t have any talent, that’s one thing. For someone to decide for me: not allowed.'" The soprano has sung the title role in Puccini's Turandot at the Deutsche Oper Berlin, Florida Grand Opera, Savonlinna Opera Festival, Netherlands Opera, Metropolitan Opera, San Diego Opera and more. This spring she will sing it again at La Scala in Milan. [Source]

Pictures of Lise Lindstrom as Turandot after the jump.

De Nederlandse Opera (Photo: Hans van den Bogaard)

Palacio de la Ópera de La Corunna (Photo: Alfonso Rego Lopez)

Deutsche Opera Berlin (Photo: Bettina Stöß)

Savonlinna Opera Festival (Photo: Timo Seppäläinen/Lehtikuva)

Cleveland Opera

Kentucky Opera (Photo: John Fitzgerald)

Hong Kong

Metropolitan Opera (Photo: Marty Sohl)

Cleveland Opera

Florida Grand Opera (Photo: Gaston de Cardenas)