Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Opera Chorister Raises Money For Hometown Through Music

David Lowe gives back to the community.
(Photo: Roger Nomer/Globe)
"As a surprise gift for his mother on Mother’s Day, David Lowe put eight of her favorite songs on a compact disc. Lowe didn’t just put the songs on the disc. He sang them and arranged them. For the past 13 years, Lowe, a native of Joplin and graduate of The Juilliard School in New York, has been a singer in the chorus of the Metropolitan Opera. 'There were some country and western songs,” he said. 'I did a cover of ‘Route 66’ with four-part harmony, and Willie Nelson’s ‘Always on My Mind.’ These are songs she (Ardy Lowe) would like.' Then the May 22 tornado happened. Then it became: What can I do to try to help? Lowe spent most of the summer in Joplin, helping his mother after the storm. That’s when he penned the original song, 'My Hometown,'’ and added it to the compact disc. He is selling copies of the CD to raise money for the Bright Futures program at Joplin High School. 'It’s especially for the Joplin High School music and theater department,' he said. 'That’s where I got my start. I want to give back to them.' On Tuesday, he spoke to students in the school’s drama class. 'I talked to them about what it is like to come from Joplin and move to the big city,' he said. 'I participated in high school musicals and assemblies — it was Parkwood High School then.' He graduated in 1976. From there he went to Pittsburg (Kan.) State University and then to Juilliard, and has lived in New York ever since. The CD, titled Back to My Roots: A Tribute to Joplin, Mo., is available for $15, which includes shipping and handling. The CD can be purchased at Lowe’s website, davidlowe-singer.com. The song “My Hometown’’ can be downloaded for $1. 'Every little bit helps and even if this raises a small amount, I hope it will help my hometown in some way,' Lowe said. So far, Lowe has sold 150 compact discs and generated $1,000 for the Bright Futures program." [Source]

Watch a performance by David Lowe after the jump.