Thursday, June 23, 2011

Sir Willard Wentworth White Pays Tribute to Paul Robeson

Willard White just keeps rollin' along
(Photo: Lee Durant)
"'I always sang for myself, ever since I was a youngster. To explore the possibility of being a professional only came to me when I was in my 20th year.' White says he experienced some difficulties in his career but adds: 'I stuck to what I believed in, which is that my voice and my talent is not for nothing. Therefore I must try it and explore it - so I did that. What is more amazing to me is the whole purpose of living and being alive and the path my life has taken is not what I dreamed it would be. That for me is very interesting. Even if our dreams are not fulfilled we can still lead fulfilling lives.' Music, though he says, can unify people and can help people find a voice, just as Robeson did. 'Music is very important as far as I’m concerned. Singing is probably the important, it comes from the heart of the body.'" [Source]

An Evening with Willard White - Robeson Re-Explored will take place at Fairfield Halls - Park Lane on June 28 at 8pm. For more information, go to www.fairfield.co.uk.