Monday, August 17, 2015

Canadian Rock Singer Peaches Secretly Likes To Sing Opera

Rock Opera: Merrill Beth Nisker, aka Peaches, can bring operatic flair to the rock world.
Controversial electronic artist Peaches, from Canada, releases her sixth album, Rub, in September. She has a new single, "Light In Places," out now, and will tour later this year:

IT'S BEEN SIX YEARS SINCE YOUR LAST RECORD, I FEEL CREAM. WHY THE BREAK? 
I was tired of that cycle of making an album and touring for two years, and then doing it again. There's no life in between, and no chance to do anything else.

YOU SANG AN ITALIAN OPERA IN THE MEANTIME? 
Yes, and did my own version of Jesus Christ Superstar, called Peaches Christ Superstar. I was really pushing myself as a singer, and I didn't really want to have to change my attitude to music, just to pacify my guilty pleasure of singing opera. I had to find another way to do it.  [Source]

"Merrill Beth Nisker (born 11 November 1968), better known by her stage name Peaches, is a Canadian electronic musician and performance artist who lives in Berlin, Germany. Her songs are noted for disregarding traditional gender norms, and for their use of sexually explicit lyrics. She plays her own instruments for her songs, programs her own electronic beats, and produces her own albums. Her songs have been featured in movies such as Mean Girls, Waiting..., Jackass Number Two, My Little Eye, Drive Angry, and Lost in Translation. Her music has also been featured on television shows such as Lost Girl, The L Word, Ugly Betty, South Park, 30 Rock, True Blood and has been used for the promotion of Dirt. Peaches performed guest vocals on Pink's album Try This, on the song "Oh My God", on the Chicks on Speed album 99 Cents, on the song "We Don't Play Guitars", on Christina Aguilera's 2010 album Bionic, on the song "My Girls" (which was produced and co-written with Le Tigre), and recently on Major Lazer's 2013 album Free the Universe on the song "Scare Me" featuring Timberlee." [Source]

Watch a live performance of the most famous song from Peaches, after the jump.