Friday, June 17, 2011

Denyce Graves Participates in Abolition of Slavery Concert

"About having her recital connected with Juneteenth, Graves said, 'I think it is a great idea and I'm proud to be a part of it.' Juneteenth commemorates the announcement of the abolition of slavery in Texas in 1865. Juneteenth Worldwide is promoter and MusicUNTOLD head John Malveaux's attempt to 'heighten awareness not only in the U.S. but beyond' of the day. Last year, Malveaux kicked off the Juneteenth Worldwide concerts with Salif Keita, an African star from Mali. In Graves, Malveaux has picked a singer who has performed in major opera houses and venues across the globe. She will present a multicultural recital that will range from her famous operatic pieces to old-time spirituals that harken back to Graves' roots as a singer in the Pentecostal church she and her mother attended...'I owe the blood in my veins to people I have never met, these great godmothers I don't even know,' Graves said. 'I am lucky that I have the opportunity to pay that forward.'" [Source]